Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Assignment #8

The topic I am going to write on is the use of steroids among college athletes. At first, I was just going to write on the use of steroids by all athletes. I thought that it was too broad so I narrowed it down to college athletes. I also feel that I can relate better to this narrowed topic because I am involved with drug tests.

So far I have used the Harold B. Lee Library as well as its website to start my research. I have looked at official NCAA documents pertaining to steroid abuse by college athletes and how the NCAA is trying to prevent the problem. Various articles talking about the subject have given me insight and a better knowledge on the topic that will help me best write this paper. I found an interesting website that has some journals from a college athlete on how he was able to use steroids and pass all of his drug tests. He talks about how far athletes will go so they can become bigger, stronger, and faster. They will do whatever it takes to get around these drug tests. I have also learned about the long lasting effects of steroid abusers and former users testimonies and how they wished they would have never used steroids. They say that they just get caught up in the present and don't look at the consequences down the road for both themselves and their potential families.

This research is just a small part of what I need to do for my research paper but it has given me a good start on the things I will write about. I will begin my outline soon so I can start my paper.

No comments: